Will Planting Chrysanthemum Work?

Since pyrethrin, one of the most powerful insecticides is derived from the chrysanthemum, you have to wonder if planting a bunch of those lovely little posies among your vegetables would be to any effect.

Here in Southwestern Missouri, it seems the Japanese beetle infestation is increasing exponentially from year to year. Over the past decade, its been downright heartbreaking to watch it happen. And I don't see how any local treatment in our own garden and yard with milky spore would be to any appreciable effect. They now say the traps tend to draw more beetles than they eradicate.

Presently, we use soap spray and bug-squashing. But I read this morning that ammonia, a by-product of putrefaction, is a strong retardant for these bugs, for which reason they say to empty that bug bag frequently. I wonder if a drop or two of that in the soap suds would be acceptible to our precious grapes, our handsome and lovable sweet corn, our ever so huggable and delicious squash?

Reply to
Just Me

You might look into Spinosad, it is certified organic, just follow directions carefully. Perhaps call your county extention office and talk it over with them.

Reply to
gunner

Another product from Dow AgroSciences LLC

highly toxic to bees (honey bee LC50 = 11.5 ppm) and is highly toxic to oysters and other marine mollusks. Applications to areas where bees are actively foraging should be avoided.

Beneficial Trichogramma and Braconid wasps are harmed by the chemical

Reply to
Billy

Yes, I read the product label plus the OMRI pdf here:

before I recommended it,,,,why I said follow directions carefully. However do note" "In particular, it is toxic to bees and they should not be in contact with the material UNTIL ( emphasis added) it has dried in the field. It is also toxic to oysters and other marine mollusks (Dow, 2001).' This is on my consideration list for the green house. A side note, since anyone can and does post on wiki and it may or may not ever be corrected, they should never be considered a good source, but it can be a good lead.

Reply to
gunner

Now that's odd, you were just making the point that pesticides weren't dangerous, weren't you? Maybe you could clarify what you meant. According to the University of Conneticut,"Warning! Agrochemicals/pesticides are dangerous. Read and follow all instructions and safety precautions on labels. Carefully handle and store agrochemicals/pesticides in originally labeled containers immediately in a safe manner and place. Contact the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection for current regulations.The user of this information assumes all risks for personal injury or property damage."

Have you ever considered crop rotation, so that insects won't have the substrate of choice at hand all the time and allow them to multiply in numbers that would allow them to infest a particular field. You could use less pesticide, if you did that. I guess the crop rotation people will just have to go to Washington and slug it out with the chemical lobbyists with deep pockets. Oh, that's right, there is no money for the crop rotation people to spend. No deep pockets.

Now I know your going to accuse me of changing the subject, but really I'm not. Have you ever heard of Edward Bernays? Ever hear of his book "Propaganda"?

's basically about sales. Selling anything.

No, it says,"it [sinosad] is HIGHLY toxic to bees (honey bee LC50 = 11.5 ppm)" and you didn't mention the Trichogramma and Braconid wasps. I'm sure it was just an over sight because we all know how fair and non-partisan you are. Yes sir, we certainly do.

So, you put out little signs out in the fields for the bees and the Trichogramma and Braconid wasps?

My but you are testy today. I didn't even direct this response to you but to the OP.

Snappy title for the UConn article: Spinosad: The First Selective, Broad-Spectrum Insecticide

I would have thought that selective and broad-spectrum would have been the antithesis of each other. A little bit for everybody, huh?

I wonder, if we looked, how much of UConns financing comes from companies just like Dow Chemical? Where you around for the little brouhaha that we had over McGill University getting a third of its yearly budget from corporate sponsorship? Were you, huh?

Caesar's wife and all that sort of thing, don't you know?

Well, I have to take my meds now, and go down to the lake, the flock is waiting for me;O)

Reply to
Billy

Will you start proofing your writings? They are becoming so disjointed and filled with such misrepresentations that it is difficult to find a way to even begin to address them.. But I think that is your point. Dazzle em with BS, is that it?

We don't use signs up to keep the bees out. Is that your local practice? We hire bouncers to keep em out and then spray in the evening.

Reply to
gunner