Unknown herb

Can anyone identify this herb?

I hope it is for memory.

Reply to
Billy

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

It looks like a variety of comfrey to me too.

Reply to
phorbin

I can't see any pic. All I get is a string of computer gobbledegook like this but it goes on for ages longer than the snippet below: A User's tinypic most recent media in Garden 2013 A feed of A User's most recent media in Garden 2013

Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:09:00 MDT Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:59:54 MDT Tinypic Feed Generator Of Doom en-us

60
Reply to
Farm1

I am a silly bunt. I have half a dozen comfrey, and this is the only one that is in flower. Thank you.

Reply to
Billy

What do you use your comfrey for Billy? I know it's leaves are supposed to be a compost accelerant and also that the roots can be used as a healing compress, but all I ever seem to do with mine is to use the leaves as mulch.

Reply to
Farm1

I suppose you were probably joking that you have forgotten what it is. Nevertheless, answering the serious question, comfrey has various traditional usages (and not much use for any of them) but memory is not one of them. Moreover it is unlikely that taking any substance, man-made or botanical, will be of any specific use for improving your memory.

Reply to
echinosum

I'm using firefox v 22 an old version of Zonealarm (my home's router has a built in firewall so I use zonealarm to control program access) and the most recent Avast antivirus prg.

It worked for me.

To start, it could be your browser iteration and/or its settings, or javascript version, or something else interposing itself, maybe an antivirus, firewall, or proxy.

Reply to
phorbin

I haven't used it, but it is for wounds, and I hope I won't need it, as is the yarrow, which I haven't used either. What I have used is prunella (very impressive for dropping blood pressure), dandelion to lower B.P., and put in salads, blueberry leaves for dropping blood sugar, and hawthorn leaves for my ticky ticker. Some like echinacea, bergamot, and borage I mostly grow for their flowers.

Reply to
Billy

In article , echinosum wrote:

Actually, I understand that caffein, and ginko (not together) have shown promise, at least with short term memory.

Use ginkgo biloba if your memory loss is due to age-related issues. Simply forgetting where you ate dinner last night will probably be better treated by other herbs. However, if documented memory loss is due to age, ginkgo is the best herb to use.

. . 1 Take ginkgo in a supplement, daily. Talk to your doctor or neurologist about the recommended dosage for your dementia or other age-related memory condition. . . 2 Try bacopa monnieri as a supplement. This herb stimulates the production of GABA in your brain, which is a neurotransmitter that also decreases your blood pressure and calms you down. Look for a 200 mg (2 tsp.) to 400 mg (4 tsp.) dose. . . 3 Drink tea with ginseng to increase your mental function and improve your memory. Studies have demonstrated that ginseng improves mental ability as well as memory functions. . . 4 Grow or buy some fresh rosemary. Rosemary is an herb with a lot of carnosic acid, which is not only an antioxidant but also goes directly to your cerebral vascular tissues to dilate them and improve memory. Sprinkle rosemary on your food, or simply smell it. Studies have proven rosemary to be useful in sharpening the memories of office workers. . . 5 Take a capsule of croton lechleri, also called "dragon's blood." This herb will help you store memories by breaking down enzyme compounds that might be causing memory problems. Take a 1 to a 1.5g (0.035 to 0.05 oz.) dose per day. . . 6 Look for supplements and products that include gotu kola. This herb promotes overall mental functions and is used in many herbal remedies for attention deficit and memory problems. . 7 Use rhodiola to improve your memory while giving you extra concentration skills. This herb also boosts your immune system. Take 100 mg of rhodiola or rhodiola rosea every day should bring you noticeable results. . . 8 Ask your doctor for vinpocetine if you need blood thinners. This herb is a natural blood thinner which can also improve brain circulation and keep your memory sharper.

What were we talking about?

Reply to
Billy

Thanks Billy.

Reply to
Farm1

Caffeine helps to keep you alert - can the effect be separated?

Ginkgo: Wikipedia sums up the evidence as follows. "Nonetheless, a meta-analysis in 2012[49] reported zero effect sizes for the impact of Ginkgo biloba on memory, attention and problem-solving in healthy individuals."

"An editorial in The Lancet concluded ginkgo biloba does not prevent dementia in elderly individuals with or without memory complaints or cognitive impairment and is not effective for prevention of Alzheimer's disease.[50]"

Nevertheless we can observe there are some interesting biochemical effects from Ginkgo which indicate other routes for study.

The trouble is that medical studies can so easily be badly done that it is very easy to find "some promise" results for a junk treatment in the typical badly done study. And studies in complementary medicine are usually in the badly done category. This is why Chinese studies of traditional Chinese medicine always find it works, when properly conducted studies always find it doesn't. For example, acupuncture has now been thoroughly debunked.

Reply to
echinosum

Yet my HMO offers it, and it is paid for by Social Security.

Have a good life.

Reply to
Billy