tomatoes: preventing 'sun scald'

Our tomatoes have something like septoria afflicting the leaves. I've been cutting off the damaged ones, and the plants look like they may survive. They have set some fruit.

If they do survive, I've read that the loss of foliage can produce 'sun scald' of the exposed fruits. I'm considering doing something to prevent this. One idea I'm considering is to put small paper bags over the fruits.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd be interested to hear.

Thank you, George

Reply to
George

Where are you? Why not shade the whole plant? By doing so, you may also forestall blossom drop somewhat. Window screen will do, although, a sheer textile may do better. I'm in west-central peninsular Florida where, by mid-June, sunscald is a perennial problem. I shade my tomatoes (and peppers) from about 11:AM (EDT) until about 6:PM (EDT). I reduce the visible light level to about 1/4 the unshaded level but YMMV. That's 2 f-stops; yes, I used a light meter. My neighbor has some container-grown "Aunt May's heirloom from Mississippi" indeterminate of unknown variety and some Roma tomatoes growing in what Kodak used to refer to as "open shade". His plants only get about 3 hours of late morning direct sun this time of year and fewer in spring. They're doing far better than mine and they're growing in my soil mix. Next year, if I grow tomatoes at all, I will follow his lead.

Reply to
Derald

Oops, forgot. Central NY, zone 5-ish. We get ~60% of 'available sunshine' in July/August.

Reply to
George

Several NG regulars in your zone who can offer more suitable suggestions.

Reply to
Derald