Today's terrible tomato travail theorem.

120 is too hot. No wonder the tomatoes are dieing.
Reply to
Omelet

San Pedro and Peruvian Torch are actually worth money. ;-) So is Aloe.

Reply to
Omelet

This is in northern California, on the coast, near the Oregon border. Outside daytime temperature yesterday was 64F at high noon outside,

80F in the greenhouse, with all three vents open. If I was planting them in the ground I'd need to break through the permafrost with a pickaxe first... well maybe, not quite, but you get the idea.

That's a bummer. My tomatoes are a little behind this year because we had a gloomy dark drizzly spring here in Tennessee. Our days are now sunny, hot and very humid. The tomatoes are finally growing normally but little to pick so far.

Reply to
Marie Dodge

My whole reason for constructing the greenhouse was to grow tomatoes. Fresh from the garden, still warm from the sun, you can eat them like an apple!

This is my first experiment with a greenhouse, all as previous gardening was done in southern California, where greenhouses have to be refrigerated for the plants to survive.

I was told that it is too cold here to grow tomatoes, so I took the plunge.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

e:

Have you tried varieties developed to grow in San Francisco? Would be a good experiment for next year to grow those outside and compare them to the greenhouse performance.

Susan B.

Reply to
sueb

Or check with a local nursery for varieties and/or technique.

Reply to
Billy

ote:

There is a variety called San Francisco Fog that I would like to try outside, but I'll have to wait for next year. I bought a Carmello in a 3" pot, plugged it into a raised bed, and it is doing well. We'll have fruit setting this week if we are lucky.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com