The End of Cheap Food

About what I do.

I don't know where you live or what you buy, but I spend about that much per month.

Hi; I'm Oz. Gladtomeetcha

I eat beef, pork, chicken, or fish at least once each day (but I must confess, I catch the fish myself). Some of it processed -- as in salami or sausage -- but most in its "natural" state. Other quality foods, with not nearly as much (as I am still learning) from my own garden as I would like. I probably eat too much, but very little of it is junk or poor quality. I do, however, have a weakness for hard cinnamon candy. This is just for me, as I live alone, but have guests in for dinner about 5-6 times a month.

cheers

oz, who eats flour tortillas often -- the brown ones make great roll- ups

Reply to
MajorOz

You really think this is true, or even possible?

I don't and others don't either.

Brother, Rant On Charlie........Devouring the Day

Reply to
Charlie

(snip)

It is interesting to me that the (allegorical) sons of the Boston Tea Party, the Great Railroad Strike of 1877, and the Viet Nam protests have turned into the (allegorical) whining kid sisters. "We caaaaan't". You don't think it's possible, Charlie? You even question the concept's veracity?

Maybe the author I recommended should have been Paine instead of Kingsolver. That worked for J. Sterling Morton.

You don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows

- Bob Dylan

Reply to
Steve

What an unintentionally delicate way of referring to such a diabolical liar! Fertilizer company. Charming. I call a spade a spade, and that mofo and his cronies comprise a bullshit megaconglomerate if there ever was one.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Words to live by.

Did you have anything to do with the naming of the wine that has been found to aid guys in my age group with prostate problems. It is called: l l l l S C R O L L l l l I I I I I

Pinot More

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

That is for 2 people and the pets. About 1/2 of that is for good quality pet food. Fresh meat and fresh veggies is what we mostly eat, most of that cost is for meat.

We eat fish about once per week if that. Most of that is chicken, pork and some beef.

Reply to
Omelet

While it can vary widely, I think we average about $200 a week for 4 people and no pets. However, I have a teenaged son..... We're trying meatless days, but that doesn't seem to work well.

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Thank you, Ann, for sharing the video. I don't usually go to the links but did this time. It is certainly a reminder that we people all over the world are much the same and are all victims of our "leaders" and the words spread by those same leaders (and our media!). We only need to look within our own country to see the conflict in what we say and what we do. It's important that we not let our own unpleasant truths be forgotten. What some dictators have done is not that different from what was done in "settling and civilizing" our own country. It's always important to remember the history books are written by the winners and nothing written in those books ever justifies people hurting people.

While I detest our current administration on the federal level, I have learned that our current president is not the worst we have ever had. He is simply "more effective" to hurting our position worldwide than some past presidents because of a technical communication age. I often wonder where the terrorist cause would be if we had not invaded Iraq without U.N. sanction with all of the sympathy and support from the entire world after

9-11. I suspect it would not be as advanced as it is; my fear is that we have created more support for it than we have eliminated - how can anyone truly know.

For a chilling reality of presidents, read the lesser known facts about Andrew Jackson. His Trail of Tears march was only one of a truly horrible line of actions by him, yet he is "honored" on our $20 bill. I wonder how many Americans would like seeing his face so often if they realized his true character. I knew some of what he had done, but until recently, I didn't realize what a truly evil person he was. He makes this president look like a saint.

It's a downright shame that truly good people can't make it in politics at high levels. I'm talking truly good as in all the way through deep into their heart as well as their actions.

My tag line on my signature has been: "I can't change the world but I can make my little corner better." That is what most of us try to do, and it matters.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Heh!

I've heard about teenage boys, and have had Ben (14 y/o) over for weekends sometimes. Normally, that boy can really eat but he's trying to lose weight.

Reply to
Omelet

Right now, he's very careful about his intake but the food still disappears at an alarming rate.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I'm waiting for my two Nephews to reach teenage...

It'll be awhile yet, but should be interesting!

Reply to
Omelet

It takes only 12 beets to make one pound of sugar. In addition to granulated white sugar, sugar beets are made into various sugar products, including brown sugar and confectioner's, or powdered, sugar. Beet pulp, a sugar beet by-product, is processed into cattle feed. Molasses, another by-product, is used to make citric acid, vinegar, yeast, antibiotics and other products.

Reply to
J.R. in MI

Beet sugar is toxic to hummingbirds. It kills them.

Makes me wonder how safe it is for me...

Reply to
Omelet

Depends if you can watch from a far or not... C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hey - dogs can't eat chocolate, but it is good (in small doses) for humans... C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Not sure where you got your information, but it is not. Most people seem to think they prefer cane sugar, but some studies indicate hummers prefer beet sugar

them both, see what they prefer.

Honey, however is definitely a no-go for hummingbirds.

Cheers!

Reply to
snotbottom

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt! :->

Reply to
Ann

Check out Madhur Jaffrey's book World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the Globe. She tracked down traditional (read: easy and delicious) vegetarian recipes from all over. Try "Nigerian Red Kidney Bean Stew with a Peanut Sauce" for your sons. It's basically bean chili with peanut butter added. As Madjur says, "The peanut butter flavor just seams to melt away, leaving only an unctuous sense of creaminess."

I'm a flexitarian who doesn't buy or cook meat myself, but will eat it in social situations to not be rude. We eat a delicious and varied diet for about $35 a week per person. We're chose to do this for moral, health, and environmental reasons.

Environmental reasons? Yes, vegetarian is the new Prius, with a much smaller initial investment. (And you can keep your truck to haul mulch.) University of Chicago researchers found that "when it's all added up, the average American does more to reduce global warming emissions by going vegetarian than by switching to a Prius," reports Kathy Freston on the Huffington Post.

parsleyhawthorne

parsleyhawthorne expounded:

I'm a flexitarian who does buy meat and cook it occasionally, because my protein needs *are not* met by a fully vegetarian diet. And I really don't want to be a Prius

Reply to
Ann