soy beans

Anyone have experience growing soy beans at home? What is a good source of information on producing soy-derivative products?

simon

Reply to
Simon Stenkle

I grow several strains of edible soybeans in Eastern Ontario. These varieties came from Salt Spring Seeds on Vancouver Island. Check their web site for open pollinated seeds. I steam, shell and freeze them or eat them as a Japanese style snack called Edame (Steam and add coarse salt.) They have a nut like flavour. Industrial type soy beans are quite unpalatable but I imagine you could find recipes for soy milk etc with a Google search. I believe the production of tofu is quite complicated and beyond the scope of the small farmer.

Farmer John

Reply to
Fudge

Not at all. I've made tofu at home, many times. It's really not complex at all, and no expensive equipment is required.

A soy-milk maker (available to the home market for under $100) would be a big help, though I never had one when I was making tofu so they're certainly not required.

Anyone who is interested in making tofu would probably be greatly helped by getting a copy of 'The Book of Tofu', by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi. Very clear and thorough directions.

The same authors have another book entitled 'The Book of Tempeh' - clear and thorough directions for making tempeh - which is also easy and not complex, although a 'starter' bacteria is required (similar to yogurt). The starters are available online, and not costly.

Anyone attempting to *sell* home-made tofu and/or tempeh would probably need inspection and approval by the relevant Board of Health, just as in the case of selling any other home-made foods.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows