Slug infestation in worm box

I generate compost in a large closed (but ventilated) box inhabited by redworms. This arrangement has been running successfully for at least five years. There are many, many worms in the material, and they look happy (for worms).

About a week ago I noticed that there were some large slugs in the box; today there are many more. I don't really know if this is a bad thing, but intuitively I feel it is something that needs attention fast.

I would appreciate comments from people who actually know something about slugs and/or vermiculture, about what, if anything, should be done.

I have searched for a newsgroup devoted to vermiculture or composting, but have failed to find one. If someone knows of a group more appropriate to this question than rec.gardens.edible, please don't hesitate to point it out.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

CatGut

be the best place for wormy information. Thanks again.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

Place a few pans of dark beer in there. That will take care of the slugs. ;-)

It really does work!

K.

Reply to
Katra

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:42:36 -0500 in , Katra graced the world with this thought:

all that ever happens when I try this is I come out in the morning and find cigarette butts and half eaten nachos.

Reply to
belly

Party slugs eh? ;-D

Seriously, it's helped a lot in the one garden where the slugs were eating my swiss chard. Nary any slug damage now and we find dozens of drowned slugs in the beer pans. :-)

K.

Reply to
Katra

You must have really LARGE slugs.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

LOL

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Nah.

My policy is, if it's a native slug (which around here means it's yellow, green, or yellow with black spots), I leave it in the compost box. If it's an evil exotic (black, brown, or brown with black spots), it is destroyed. Since I have a difficulties with killing anything, I put the slugs I want to kill in a plastic bag and then put it in the freezer, so they can peacefully be frozen to death. My husband thinks that since slugs barely have two neurons to rub together, this is unnecessary. I will leave the ethics of slug execution up to you (CYLOR if necessary).

Anyway, having a few slugs in the worm bin doesn't seem to cause much harm. Then again, I have a pretty laisez-faire attitude about the worm bin. I put the kitchen scraps, autumn leaves and weeds (before they go to seed) in, and pull out compost twice a year. Stir occasionally. Other people seem to have these very highly managed verimcomposting systems, where they monitor the ph and and carbon/nitrogen content and turn on a semi-weekly schedule. Maybe they get more finished compost as a result. I'm happy with what I get, though, as it is.

rec.gardens.ecosystems was developed to specifically deal with issues of organic gardening, including vermicomposting, but the newsgroup appears to be basically unused.

Reply to
Claire Petersky