Seed variety recommendations

Do you have a favorite variety of seed for any vegetable? What do you like and why and what climate do you grow it in?

From a garden in southern Idaho (last frost May 26, first frost Sept 22) I can recommend:

"Bright Lights" chard - cheery colorful stuff that provides well from June to October. Even though it's just leaves, this one of my garden's biggest producers in terms of pounds per row-foot. Freezes nicely. Good lightly simmered and seasoned with salt and sesame oil. We never liked greens so much until we started growing it.

"Cream of the Crop" acorn squash - I needed a really short-season squash because I plant after squash borers have gone through. They'll kill a plant so fast I don't see them until it's all over, and I don't use poisons. Cream of the Crop produced remarkably and tastes great.

"Green Arrow" peas. What a lot of tasty peas! They grow neatly on tomato cages and are finished just when the tomatoes want their cages back.

I'm still looking for a favorite bush bean. Roma II is too furry and tastes overcooked before it's cooked, though they're quite prolific. Tendergreen seemed anything but tender. Any suggestions?

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

Of the bush types, Contender, Bountiful and Purple Queen are my favorites. A little more work, but even tastier is Mountain Halfrunner.

Reply to
farmerdill

My two favorite bush beans are Top Crop and Straight n' Narrow. Both are prolific and taste wonderful!

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Wild Bill

Hi from Madison, IL...St Louis Area. Last year I planted some Martha Stewart Squash seeds from K Mart. They are yellow straightneck Butternuts. AWESOME!!!! They grew fast and produced at least 15-20 fruit each. They will get as big as an Alley Oop club but are most tasty about the size of a beer bottle. Give these bad boys plenty of room though...at least 3 feet in all directions. Good luck....Farmer Joe

Reply to
Farmer Joe