Re: navel oranges??

I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble

>purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small >naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not >sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges, >anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is >South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

If you mean the very small mandarins, in the northeastern USA, we've only been able to purchase them around December-February.

Sometimes they're called 'satsumas', sometimes 'mandarins', sometimes other things. I think they're called 'clementines' too.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Navel oranges in the US are usually harvested by May or June. Imported from southern hemisphere growers, navels can be found, sometimes at a premium. New crops should start coming in around Nov - Dec from California and Florida. Right now they are mostly picking Valencias.

Reply to
Elizabeth

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 8/27/03 10:37 PM:

The season for local navel oranges has been over for almost two months. All the vendors at the Farmers' markets around here (S California) are pushing Valencias.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Decimal

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See

.

rona

Reply to
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Bill is correct. Mandarin and tangerine are both common names for Citrus reticulata. 'Satsuma' and 'Clementine' are varietal names of C. reticulata.

Reply to
Elizabeth

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Pat Meadows at snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com wrote on 8/28/03 10:41 AM:

It is also misleading; maybe accidentally on purpose. As far as I am concerned, the satsuma mandarin is the best citrus there is. I think other varieties have been pushed on me as satsuma. The problem with them is that their season is very short.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Decimal

And none of the currently available mandarins/tangerines/clementines tastes at all like the tart tangerines we got as children. Too many generations of breeding with sweet oranges has ruined the tangerine. A tangerine Jelly Belly tastes more like a tangerine than a tangerine does anymore.

Harrumph! M>

Reply to
Monique Reed

in article snipped-for-privacy@mail.bio.tamu.edu, Monique Reed at snipped-for-privacy@mail.bio.tamu.edu wrote on 8/28/03 12:22 PM:

I like my mandarins sweet and tart. There is no reason why that cannot be.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Decimal