Patio Gardening

I'm interested in getting into raising vegetables in pots on my patio. For the most part Deer eat anything I plant in the yard. To maximizing yield what would you recommend planting? Are there any good website that discuss this type of gardening?

Thanks, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

You may want to look at

first, and then Google "container gardening". Get some background and then ask intelligent questions. To maximize crop, see plant recommendations at

Billy

I grow tomatos, peppers and eggplants in 14 inch deep pots on deck because of shade and deer that have enchroached my property over the years. Vegetable yields are good but frequent watering is needed. Probably have to fertilize more often. I use bagged top soil and replace the top, maybe quarter, every year. Fungus and bugs as in normal garden can be a problem but sprays keep in check. Deer will come onto patios so you may need extra fencing or elevation. There is a patio under my deck and I have cucumbers growing in pots but I have had to put up netting around most of the patio to keep the deer away. Netting is an adequate barrier as deer are browsers and will not bother to break through it. Also I quit feeding birds and put away the deck bird feeder to keep away coons and squirrels as they will attack your containers too.

Reply to
Frank

Here are just a few of many, EJ.

Should be enough to get your head around the simplicity of container gardening, and some of the possibilities, ranging from low-cost right on up. Use your imagination. Remember, you are what you eat.....my recommendations are always for organic soil amendments and heirloom seeds/plants. Keep in mind that containers have different moisture requirements than gardens and some may need watering more than once daily, depending upon weather conditions and container size/material.

Go for it. You can make a difference!

Charlie

Thanks you everybody for some good ideas.

EJ > I'm interested in getting into raising vegetables in pots on my patio.

Reply to
Ernie Willson