One good thing about a cold, damp August day

Worrisome sight on Sunday: The patch of woodland phlox has been mowed to the ground.

Ominous sight on Monday: Groundhog in neighbor's yard; darts under her deck. Lots of digging at various spots along fence and finally...a small hole to wiggle under.

Break out the trap; bait with apples and that weirdly split kohlrabi.

Even more ominous sight on Tuesday: Groundhog feeding on the lawn in neighbor's yard; darts up tree, then jumps down to run behind garage. Finally spotted running under the deck again.

Wondering if it would ever be tempted by trap. Add some more apple, including cut pieces by entrance.

Wednesday: Weather turns ugly. Rain all morning. Check trap after lunch. Still empty. Everything wet and drippy. No sign of groundhog. Just before dinner, trap is checked again and is full of half-eaten apples and very angry groundhog.

Apparently, a pile of apples close at hand is much more attractive when the rest of the world is cold and sopping wet.

Every year, it seems a new groundhog tries to move in. Last year, we trapped it when it ran into our garage (!) just before dinner.

Every year my neighbor talks about pulling down that old deck... maybe someday.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz