Last gasp....

Slight weather reprieve. A little warm spell and some rain. Peppers are still trying. Tomatoes, except cherry have given up. Egg plants stunted and getting rough spots on their skins. Only the herbs are still hanging in there, and my favorite garlic chive is depressingly limp. Oh dark winter, I guess you are on the way. Sigh. I guess it's time to get out the seed catalogs and dream of spring. I love this newsgroup even if I don't post much. Happy holiday season. twh

Reply to
Tom Hooper

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:25:05 -0500 in , "Tom Hooper" graced the world with this thought:

My chard seems to be hitting it's stride now that the bugs are gone and the birds aren't eating the stems. Peppers will put out through the winter, pretty much. Tomatoes got wilt and died about two months back. The herbs seem to be enjoying the rain, so far.

Interesting chard... I bought Red Fordhook Giant and eventually thinned it to three plants (how much chard can one person eat?). Now that they're actually growing faster than I'm eating it, I notice that these are three distinctly different types of chard. One looks like Fordhook, one has very krinkly leaves, and the other are smoother, like the Fordhook, but more ovate. All three are planted right next to each other in the ground. None are red, and none are giant, as the seed pack labeled them (unless a 16" tall plant is "giant"... but the last time I grew Fordhook Giant, it was about three feet tall).

Reply to
belly