Growing Fennel

Fennel is delicious roasted and ridiculously expensive at the store, so I'm considering trying to grow some in a raised bed this year.

Has anyone ever grown them and how much water do they like?

I live in Central Texas near Austin.

Reply to
Omelet

Here, in northern California, they grow wild with no attention afforded to them.

Reply to
Billy

I planted fennel 3 odd years back to attract insects. We use the bulbs from time to time. We just let it go & it gets the same, or less, water than the veges. Every so often I give it a hack back & that encourgaes new growth. Still going strong this summer.

ron

Reply to
George.com

I ought to shmack you for that!

Want to trade some more cactus pads for some? But, point taken. In other words, they are easy to grow. How dry is it where you live? We are in the middle yet another drought and might end up with water rationing this summer.

Seriously, they are around $3.00 each at the grocery store.

Reply to
Omelet

They are good for Tiger Swallowtail larvae... And it'd keep them off the dill weed!

Reply to
Omelet

No problem. I'll look for some tomorrow:O)

Reply to
Billy

Very cool... :-)

Reply to
Omelet

As I'm learning about Opuntia, I find that the one I'm looking for is Opuntia streptacantha. No problem though, I'm glad to help.

Drought here too. Less than 1/2 normal rainfall to date. Our normal rainy season is from October through April, when the region is considered a temperate rain forest. Normally there is NO rainfall from May to October. Under the trees is usually nice in the summer but out in the open the sun it can get hot, 100F+. Three years ago we had 2 days that reached 100F. Last year we had 12 days that touched the century mark. Fennel seems to grow best in the sunniest areas, water or not.

If the next 3 months don't improve, water rationing is sure to be mandatory.

Saw lots of fennel today but none in a particularly accessible area. I'll keep looking, or I'll do it the hard way ;O)

Reply to
Billy

It's ok, just if it's convenient. :-) At the very least, I'll pay you for postage like you did for _me_!

If I can get over to the New Braunfels HEB early enough before they've cut them all up on the right day, I may be able to get some pads from them. It might be what you are looking for.

They skin and slice them right there at the store so their Nopales are fresh. I just have to get lucky and hit them on the right time and day.

Reply to
Omelet

Fennel is one of my very favorite vegetables, but here are a couple of things to throw into the mix:

The kind of fennel you find in the store (and seed catalogues) has been bred for especially large and succulent bulbs; the wild kind may not be as good.

Also, it is said that fennel roots exude some sort of chemical that inhibits the growth of nearby plants.

Reply to
tuckermor

Interesting stuff, thanks!

Reply to
Omelet

Fennel grows really well in pots. I live in Houston, and fennel loved it, though with lots of water. I grew it for the seeds.

Reply to
yosef

Ok, thanks!

Do you get a lot of Tiger Swallowtail babies? They tend to go for Fennel, Dill weed and Parsley. I used to grow some Parsley just for them. ;-) I may do that again this year.

Reply to
Omelet

Here's a Florence Fennel bulb for you. Planted back in December (Z-10)

Reply to
Mike

Small bulb, but pretty none the less. :-)

Reply to
Omelet