Getting toward the end

A couple of days ago we picked all the shell beans and they are in a cardboard box in the family room. If I have to trip over them I remember to shake them up a bit so they all dry. Also pulled all of the plants from that box. Still have some Roma beans coming in.

Still have peppers (bell, jalapeno and Poblano), eggplant and a few tomatoes coming in. Still picking blueberries. Just finished making

2 dozen bb muffins. Decided I would not tempt DH with the Blueberry Pudding Cake.

Think I will make some Eggplant Parmigiana in a day or two. Eat some and freeze some. Tonight it is corn pudding plus whatever else we decide on.

Reply to
The Cook

i love the tactile feel of shelling and sorting beans.

ooh! that sounds good!

is that like scrapple without the scraps?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

No. Think rice pudding but with no sugar but some spices and corn.

Reply to
The Cook

If you can cop a non-tactile feel you will get into less trouble.

David Hare-Scott

We had a planting of sweet corn get away from us a bit (weather and travel) so it had started to get a bit tough and doughy.

I cut the kernals off and ran them through my Italian tomato press to get a nice, smooth paste and made corn pudding. I went with cardamom and coriander for spices. YUMMM.

I mixed 2 eggs, 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tb flour, 3/4 tsp salt,

1 tsp cardamom, 1/2 tsp coriander, and the results of processing eight ears of overly-mature sweet corn.

Put it in a 1 qt. baking dish and dot with butter. Bake at 325 deg for about 1 hour.

You could add some sugar to make this a dessert dish, or change out the spices I used for, say, rosemary to make it more savory.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Well, down here in FL, we're in sort of a between seasons holding pattern waiting for Fall planting time, although, yellow squash and slicing cukes will go in today. Putting them in containers that Spring tomatoes were in. Have some snap beans coming along; hoping they won't bloom until nearer to equinox, when weather will begin to moderate a bit. Meantime, we're still picking and puttin' up okra, peppers, eggplant, cowpeas. Speckled butterbeans are blooming but I don't expect very much from them: Grasshoppers like the blossoms too well. Also, not realizing them to be "pole" beans, I was late getting them trellised. The only blueberries down here are hybrid highbush cultivars developed for the humid South and for the Gulf coast states. In these parts, they're done by late May, although, die hard you-picks may hang on to early June, at the latest. Commercial harvest begins in April. Frankly, they're not very good, even as blueberries go, and I composted the last of mine in about '04. Further north, there are native rabbiteyes and "dew berries" but they're nowhere near to what grows in your neck of the woods.

Reply to
Derald

ah, ok, thanks. :)

our signs that the end is coming, two nights forecast in the mid-40s in a row.

songbird

Reply to
songbird