Flowering on trees with fruit

I would appreciate it if anybody can refer me to a reference on the topic of whether leaving fruit on a tree alters the flowering and setting of new fruit for the next season. I have excess citrus fruit from last summer (now coming into spring) and I have been leaving it on the tree to store it. Clearly the old fruit cannot stay there forever. Will the old fruit inhibit new flowering and fruiting until it falls off or is taken off, or will the new fruit coexist with the old for some period? Is this the same for all citrus, all fruit, or is every case different?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks, that's a good reference.

I thought it would be a compromise.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I don't know anyone who strips a citrus tree, except commercial growers. Just leave the fruit on until you are ready for it.

I get enough fruit mummies falling off, along with ripe fruit, to know that old fruit can stay on there, pretty much forever.

Susan B.

Reply to
sueb

I have about 50 fruit trees of different kinds. The citrus are oranges, lemons, cumquats, mandarins, tangelos with different cultivars of each. They ripened about 1 to 4 months ago and I have been working through them; eating, freezing, marmalading etc. Right now I have a tangelo and cumquat still bearing. I have a customer for the cumquats who wants them in a month but not now.

Only the citrus are frost sensitive here. They all had black plastic "nightshirts" through winter for their first 3 years. The last few years they have been naked and done well. The only frost problem that I have with them is late fruiting in autumn (or even winter) can be damaged, the immature fruit die and fall off after heavy frost. Mature fruit don't. I tried Tahitian limes and grapefruit but the cultivars I could get were too frost tender and died. I have a kaffir lime in a tub that goes under shelter in winter.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You need to graft when 'fruit trees'

are dormant to avoid stressing the branches.The branch you are going to cut,should be should be flexible and have multiple buds of new growth.Bind grafted ends with a rubber band tightly enough

Reply to
allen73

What? This is a complete non sequitor. I didn't mention grafting nor cutting nor hydroponics. If you want to spam for your site be more subtle.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The English have been pillaging words from other languages for a very long time, this phrase has been around in English for hundreds of years. I should try to remember that it isn't going to be in the list of most texted phrases this year despite being a handy abbreviation for its literal meaning.

David Hare-Scott

It might have something to do with the Roman invasion around 55 A.D., the Anglo-Saxon invasion in 700 A.D., and the French invasion in 1056 A.D. I'm afraid that American education, due to lack of funding, especially in the South, has been inadequate in explaining world history.

Presently, in the U.S., "Non Sequitor" is only a comic strip, and no further explanation is required.

Reply to
Billy

Do you ever check your facts before you shoot your mouth off?

We all know your an American apologist Luddy, but you have to stop pretending your opinion is some kind of fact or that this stupidity somehow explains why no one speaks Latin any more.

Reply to
Gunner

No, gunny, I never do. I just do it to drive you crazier. It seems to be working ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Still a day late and a dollar short are ya? Catch up slick, actual NEA research shows a much different:

Expenditures per Student: The U.S. average per student expenditure for public elementary and secondary schools in 2008=9609 fall enrollment was $10,190. States with the highest per student expenditures: Rhode Island ($17,289), New Jersey ($16,253), New York ($15,997), Wyoming ($14,732), and Vermont ($14,679). Utah ($5,912), Arizona ($5,932), Mississippi ($7,484), Nevada ($7,615), and Idaho ($7,730) had the lowest per student expenditures (H-11).

Rankings &Estimates Rankings of the States 2009 and Estimates of School Statistics 2010 NEA RESEARCH DECEMBER 2010

dig a bit further and see CA ranked 46th in Public Education Rating in 2003.

Stiil the point is you seem to relish denigrating Americans with your Neoluddite and fringe political talk. It was not more than a few days ago you AGAIN agreed that this is a gardening group, not one of your ~300+ political messages you post monthly.

We not going backwards. Your just standing still playing the Walter Mitty character. Drives ya nuts doesn't it. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but ya didn't. Go preach somewhere else.

Reply to
Gunner

This is good effort and increase the beauty of house or garden .

I really like this type of beauty and decoration. Beauty and gardening fresh me and my mind .

Reply to
Robert63