alpine vege garden

I have just started to finish reaping from my first summer garden in the Alpine area of Mount Buller, Vic.

The patch has been very sucessful and yielded well in the milder climate of

650mtrs above sea level. All plants have been disease free in the virgin soil and only suffered one attact of Cabbage moth.

Two Questions.

  1. What should I prepare to plant in the Autum for picking before the cold winter?

  1. Can i grow ANY Vegetables thru the winter. ie Raddichio?

Reply to
Michael Beltrame

I don't know how cold it gets, but in my case (MIchigan, with tunnels) extensive experimentation has shown that radicchio (and other chicories), kale, corn salad, arugula and collard are the cold-hardiest. I hear that miner's lettuce (claytonia) is also very hardy. They survive temperatures of 15F/-10C. radicchio and corn salad are also pest-free. corn salad and arugula reseeds itself, but radicchio needs to be planted at the beginning of summer. if you are in Australia, probably the only things you can plant at this time, that will be ready before cold weather, are arugula and broccoli raab (rapini).

Reply to
simy1