Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Greenhouse Tomato disaster - help please
Hi For the second year running my greenhouse tomatoes are struggling with a vicious fungal infection. All the plants of different types seem to be affected. The tomato flowers seem to be the problem....
4
4

Jerusalem artichoke, where to plant
Hello. We have a root of dated Jerusalem Artichoke in the refrigerator. Where is a good local to plant this? It would be great to have a flowering 'food' just spread it's way across an area. We've...
4
4

Evict a groundhog family - mothballs ok?
Hello. We have a ground hog family living near the garden. They like to eat everything. will a few moth balls down the hole do the trick or are they too toxic? Thank you, Darrell Ulm
7
7

Slugs + Iron Phosphate, Good or bad?
Have a slug problem everywhere. Some 'escar-go' which is Iron Phosphate seems to do the trick. We are trying not to chem up our food garden too much. The beer in cup method worked, but this year there...
3
3

Increase potato yield, how?
Hello, Tried to grow potato plants this year, and worked out pretty well. Any good way to increase yield in a small space 10'x5'. Is it better to bury deep all at once or bury the plant a little at a...
2
2

What's On Our Food?
Scary. http://whatsonmyfood.org/Charlie
22
22

Blossom end rot
I've been getting what I believe is blossom end rot on my tomatoes. Being a novice gardener I'm unsure just what is normal tomato growth. Seems like the tomatoes stop growing at a certain point and...
6
6

Everything in my plastic greenhouse is dying!
I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was going well until last week when some of the leaves on my...
7
7

What's wrong with my apple tree?
All the leaves have spots/bumps on them. I don't know what it is, but I'm hoping it can be fixed. Here's a picture of what one of the leaves look like, front and back: zone 5a
31
31

Tomatoes: Me: 1, Critters: 1
I had two early tomatoes, out ahead of the big batch coming down the line. I picked the first a few days ago (terrific). I went to check the other last night, and it had been gnawed to the stem. Oh...

Hydroponics?
Any hydro marijuana growers here?

Plant I.D. needed.
Plant whose tag got lost two years ago are starting to bloom. first plant (plant_1) has reddish stalks and looks like a mint. The second plant has large leaves. Any ideas?
10
10

Cherry tomato plant pruning
Hi all, I'm new to growing tomatoes and I have a question on pruning. These plants are Husky cherry tomatoes and Cherry 100 tomatoes. When is a good time to start pruning. These started a little late...
5
5

Dill pickles
It is soon time to make fermented dill pickles using salt and no vinegar. Anyone have a good recipe?
2
2

Wabbits again
In the news from Lake Wobegon this weekend, GK mentioned great hordes of rabbits eating everything in peoples gardens except the tomato plants (which they obviously don't like.) I haven't had any...
9
9