Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Too late to change Dealing with SHADE
Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that...
2
2

Mushroom Problem Solved
I grow shiitake mushrooms on oak logs in my basement. Last week, I noticed two small mushrooms budding on one of them. The next day, one was larger but the other was gone. A couple of days later, I...
2
2

Lovelock: 'We can't save the planet"
We use to have an expression that sort of sums it up. Nothing can be done however anything is possible.
3
3

Charlie got me thinkin sourdough
Discovered this I found in a book called "Wild Bread" by Lisa Rayner.

2009 garden photos
just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch & there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter...
3
3

Organic Foods
There has been some conversation on about organic foods and especially Calmar's entry into the fray. Someone posted this link. I think most of the group here will be interested.
8
8

Black plastic covering
I plan to use black plastic covering for my peppers this summer in zone 5 . How do i do it . How does it get watered and fertilized.
13
13

Farm size and population story
Must see this site that Dean Hoffman Posted in What is Obama going to do about it? Nothing, most likely. Farm consolidation has been going on for years. This is the first link I hit upon with some...
15
15

Grow Guide Niffty
I'd look about their home too.
5
5

Reminder as to why we grow our own
FRUIT OR VEGGIE, SCORE 1 (worst) Peach 100 (highest pesticide load) 2 Apple 93 3 Sweet Bell Pepper 83 4 Celery 82 5 Nectarine 81 6 Strawberries 80 7 Cherries 73 8 Kale 69 9 Lettuce 67 10 Grapes -...
1
1

Tomato seedlings, source on SF East Bay's I80 corridor (Berkeley to Milpitas)?
My main problem with tomatoes at the moment is just that I can't find a 6 pack of Early Girl. Seems that all the Orchard Supply Hardware stores in the area aren't stocking them currently. Does anyone...
6
6

broccoli
Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. What is the breed that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow? Thanks!
7
7

Pea & Bean Booster
Have got a couple of packets to try. Its organic, a live culture of harmless bacteria. You coat the seeds with this powder prior to planting. What it claims to do, is fix the nitrogen in the plant to...
8
8

Heritage Beans
Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they grow,thanks
9
9

"P" is for plants: Human urine plus ash equals tomato fertilizer
Seems as if the recent "dialog" about pee in the garden has scientific merit, despite the qualms of the squemish and .... whatever. Second article of research follows this one. Wow, I gotta go take a...
5
5