Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Salad stuff
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies, in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before...
10
10

acidify soil after planting blueberries?
I planted 6 blueberry plants today, in a hedge along the south side of my house. My experience with blueberries comes from planting a couple of plants back in the middle 80's. Both died, because our...
8
8

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ?
My Niagra grape vine is doing very well this year and has put out a decent quantity of bunches. The fruit are already 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. A friend told me that I should cut all fruiting vines...
4
4

Review: LED lights
So this year I had a some extra cash, and the metal halide light I had been using for lo, these many years was due for a new bulb. The time was ripe for a radical change. I'd always been unhappy with...
15
15

Preparing a vegetable patch
Hello, i have recently removed a pond in our back garden. I would like to fill it in a then use the area as a fruit/vegetable patch. Can anybody give me some advice on what to fill hole in with to...
1
1

Of hybrids and heirlooms
A recent thread on heirloom tomatoes showed that there is quite some confusion about this subject. Also there is a tendency to take up positions on the topic that are not necessarily supported by...
3
3

My addiction
I have decided that I am addicted to purchasing seeds, mostly vegetable. I just got my order from Pinetree Seeds, none of which I "really needed." Most of them just looked very interesting. And their...
10
10

Anyone Growing Persimons?
My wife bought a few fruit trees by catalogue this spring, the kind that arrive about 3-4 feet long with bare roots bundled in moist packing of some sort. Everything grew well, putting forth leaves...

Keeping sweet potatos
I find myself with about 40 kg (90lbs) of sweet potatoes, these are the white-fleshed ipomoea sort. Last year I tried to keep them in a cool dry place in the shed through winter but they didn't last....
12
12

Anyone growing PawPaws?
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.
13
13

growing squash with few bees
A while back I was trying to identify whether I had cucumbers or melons. Looking at the growing plant now, I'm thinking it must be squash, it's not vining and the leaves are getting big. (shared seeds...
7
7

soil/mix for container vegetables?
I'm going to do just a few veggies in containers; patio tomato, some herbs, maybe some green beans in one, lettuces/chard. So, I noticed they have some "Organic" soil at the stores for vegetables, for...
11
11

organic plant protection pdf
I found a pdf of organic plant protection and how to make the stuff.
2
2

%#&@#% flea beetles!!!
They found my eggplant already and I'm just hardening them off. They won't go into the ground until next week.
8
8

My Garlic is turning brown
My 50 or so kinds of Garlic is almost ready. I cant wait to try so many varieties. I did some heirloom tomatoes this year and I'm already pulling some of them out.