why does my cold water taste bleachy?

Phoned the water board, they say there are higher levels of chlorine than normal, but it shouldn't affect the taste. The neighbours' water is fine, but ours smells of bleach and tastes of it, even after boiling. I have been working in the kitchen lately, but nothing (yet) affecting the supply, which comes into the downstairs toilet and straight into the kitchen. I did install a double fridge-freezer about 6 months ago with a screw-on valve onto the cold pipe, but nothing apart from that. I don't have an inline filter, but am using a jug filter which seems to filter out the smell and taste.

Anyone have any ideas why this is occurring?

Reply to
mentalguy2004

That sounds normal to me. I used to use a jug filter and/or an in-line filter all the time for drinking water until I moved to my present home (we now have our own bore hole and beautifully sweet tasting water). I can't think of many reasons why your neighbour should not be affected. Perhaps they have used little water and the higher level of chlorine has not found its way to their tap?

Reply to
Howard Neil

We had problems starting about 4 months ago with water taste. One of the tastes turned out to be from the washing machine hoses. Fitting an in-line non return valve cured it. Another bad taste appears to be due to the 35 year old plastic pipe that feeds the house from the road. I suspect that both tastes started as a result of the water company adding phosphoric acid to the supply.

jks

Reply to
jks

Common problem. Another cheaper cure is to insist on WRAS Approved washing machine hoses that have been tested against long term taint. I shall probably get flamed by certain posters that inhabit this site who poo-poo any ideas that hoses in domestic supplies can cause problems. They are the ones that will catch the nasty bugs, not me!

Reply to
Merryterry

I suspect that both

What! Are you sure? Phosphoric acid is terribly bad for you, I'll be having something to say if they really are adding that to the water supply. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

So I am told. Apparently they put it in to stop the lead from old pipes leaching into the water. For years my electric kettle furred up at quite a rate and then in the space of a year it was almost totally clean due to its action. I think it is also what they put into Coca Cola. jks

Reply to
jks

And is the main ingredient of rust killers and preventers. Evil stuff. I don't drink Coca-Cola either.

Reply to
Richard Brookman