Water Tank Filling Problems

A few days ago my patner changed a rubber washer in the cold water tank in the loft, as my overflow pipe was running constantly. For 4 days or so everything worked fine, and the overflow pipe has stopped leaking. However since yesterday, as the water tank is filling up, it has started spurting on and off to the fill rather than constant flow until full. There is no problem i can tell with the taps running hot or cold, water is running through fine, just this constant splurting everytime you have run any water of any kind (mainly the hot). Any ideas? Any help will me much appreciated, as the noise from the tank is awful when it is travelling through the pipes, and besides i am getting more nervy as to the whole thing being a bigger and worse problem than first thought. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
23ede23

This sounds like one of those problems that's unique to the setup. The ballvalve is beginning to shut the water off and the sudden extra pressure opens the valve against the ball arm's pressure and the ball goes down, opening the valve and releasing the pressure, so the ball rises and tries to shut the water off again. It's like the striker arm in an old fashioned electric bell.

If you change something, it may not do this any more. For example, try bending the arm slightly sideways, or reverse the rubber in the valve. Failing this, replace the whole ballvalve.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

We have narrowed the problem down now, or so we think, having checked every other angle, to being a problem in the cold water supply from the stop valve. Tank ball valve set up no problems etc. Can you tell me if it is at all possible that the main stop could have failed after being disturbed, we say this as i now know the splurting is coming from the taps when we run water, aswell as when the tank is filling? The problem has only started since the repair to the tank, and the main stop was the only thing that was disturbed or turned off when the washer to the ball valve was fitted. We may be totally off course here you will know better! Thanks in advance.

Mel

Rob graham wrote:

Reply to
23ede23

Try closing the main stop tap a half turn at a time until the problem is fixed.

| > If you change something, it may not do this any more. For example, try | > bending the arm slightly sideways, or reverse the rubber in the valve. | > Failing this, replace the whole ballvalve. | >

| > Rob Graham |

Reply to
Stickems.

We will try that and let you know.