Using CH inhibitor

I have been looking at inhibitor to put in my CH system after I fit my thermostatic valves. I notice that some say do not put in systems that are made of aluminum but how do I know what my boiler is made of? I have an Ideal classic RS50 (no longer made of course) and the Ideal website isn't! it doesn't mention the boiler.

Also, if anyone can advise. I watched a few You Tube films of people installing TRV's and most use 'paste' or 'compound' around the edge of the threads and some then combine that with PTFE tape. But in my DIY book it says you should never combine 'compound' and PTFE. What's the best practice and what is the correct thing to ask for in the DIY shop i.e. the correct name for 'paste' or 'compound'.

Further question. I live in a heavy lime scale area, I bought some system cleaner to swish around before starting this project, it is supposed to clear sludge and lime scale (made by Wickes). But a colleague just told me he was advised by his local plumbers merchant not to attempt to use this stuff in these areas because they cause more trouble than they fix. He recommended just flushing out the system, fill it up and flush again because these solution can dislodge lumps of lime scale that will later work free and cause untold damage to the system after the job has been done - any comments on that?

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

x-posted to uk.d-i-y.

Andy