Update/Improve Old Tiled Corner in Livingroom (images included) (2023 Update)

I need ideas, tips or advice on how to spruce up this corner in our living room. If you look at the pictures, we now have a little stove in place of what used to be the old open fire, which used the same red/brown tile you see we still have in the corner. We rent - longterm - the landlord is absolutely fine with any improvements we make and has also gave us the go ahead to remove this altogether if we wish but we didn't want to undertake that big of a job, plus we only just re-carpeted the room before he told us we could do away with it. Is painting that old tile an option? I was worried it might look cheap or tacky if I did. Would re-tiling it be a big job? Box it in? Cover with sticky laminate? I'm at a total loss! Any advice or tips would be most welcome!

ellensim89

Given the scenario you've presented, there are several options to improve the appearance of your tiled corner in the living room. Here's a breakdown of each option along with the steps involved:

Painting the tile:

  • Pros: This is the simplest and least expensive option. A fresh coat of paint can completely transform the look of your tile.
  • Cons: If not done properly, the paint may look cheap and tacky.
  • Steps: Clean the tile thoroughly, prime the surface with a good quality tile primer, and apply two coats of high-quality tile paint.
  • Tools: Cleaner, tile primer, tile paint, paint brushes, and a roller.

Re-tiling:

  • Pros: This is a more permanent solution and can completely change the appearance of your tile. You have a lot of options for color, style, and material.
  • Cons: This is a bigger job and can be more expensive.
  • Steps: Remove the old tile, prepare the surface for new tile, cut and install new tiles, grout the new tile.
  • Tools: Tile saw, tile cutter, tile adhesive, grout, notched trowel, rubber float, sponge, and tile nippers.

Covering with sticky laminate:

  • Pros: This is an affordable and quick solution. You can choose a style that matches your current décor.
  • Cons: The laminate may come off over time, especially if exposed to moisture.
  • Steps: Measure the area to be covered, cut the laminate to size, clean the tile surface, and apply the laminate.
  • Tools: Laminate sheets, utility knife, and measuring tape.

Boxing in:

  • Pros: This is a great option if you want to cover up the tile completely. You can paint or wallpaper the box to match your décor.
  • Cons: This is a bigger job and can be more expensive.
  • Steps: Measure the area to be covered, cut the wood pieces to size, assemble the box, install it over the tile, and finish with paint or wallpaper.
  • Tools: Wood, saw, drill, screws, measuring tape, and finish materials (paint or wallpaper).

Each option has its pros and cons, and it depends on your personal preferences and budget. If you're unsure about which option to choose, consider seeking the advice of a professional.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor