Solar panels - free British Gas installation

Anyone had any experience with this? They are considering installing them for free and giving me half the profits. Just waiting on house deeds etc..... It's photovoltaic I'm going for as I don't use much heating or hot water, the cooker/shower is electric and the washing machine/dishwasher are cold fill. I do however use a lot of electricity for a rather large computer and heating the garage for an indoor aviary.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

There was an article about this in the paper t'other day. It said that most people will not achieve the output that is claimed and to look out for other pitfalls like will prospective buyers be put off by a rented out roof and who picks up the tab for repairs to roof etc. Worth investigating thoroughly first I would think.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Reply to
Java Jive

I used to have my own solar panels (although less of them), so I know they achieve a fair bit - I worked out that their claim was about right, they pay for themselves in 20 years. The thing about doing it this way is that the government pays a lot of money into solar power (stupidly I think, but I might as well take advantage of it).

AFAIK, a lot of people like panels on the house - it's a money earner after all. And they look nice. And there's that green thing.

They do any repairs to the panels. Repairs to my actual roof not caused by panels would obviously have to be paid for by me, as they currently are.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

On a car roof maybe, but I wouldn't do it on a house roof.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott