Removing texture coat

This follows on from a thread where I asked about using Polycell SmoothOver to cover up a texture coated ceiling that we wanted gone. I received a fair bit of advice about the procedure - most saying don't use the stuff, it's hopeless. Others gave advice about sanding it down or getting it skimmed over.

Well, after the advice here, we abandoned the SmoothOver 'solution'. I had already tried some stuff (forget what it's called, but it's a blue paste and expensive) designed to shift it, but that didn't work either, so decided to try and sand it down. I bought a load of sanding belts for my belt-sander and began the process. After a short while it became quite clear that it was (1) going to take forever, (2) very messy, and (3) not going to produce a very good result.

I was considering getting someone in to skim over it, when I thought about trying my hot-air gun with a scraper - as you would when removing gloss paint. Actually, this works quite well. Time-consuming and laborious, but definitely works. I have almost removed the stuff now, so can can quite clearly say that - for me - of all the methods this is definitely the best.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Plasterer told me that the plaster skim generates heat, which will affect the "plastic" in the texture coating. This will, he said, bring the plaster and textured coating down. So don't skim, he says.

Thank you for that, It all comes down to elbow grease and sweat despite all the chemicals and machines available.

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Absolutely. Sometimes there is just no substitute for a bit of hard work - but there is a bonus, it costs a lot less!

Reply to
Farmer Giles