puttying

I think that's what it's called, isn't it? - pressing putty into window frames to secure the glass panes. Haven't done any of this for at least 25 years and now need to replace old putty in the process of renovating a couple of windows of our house. What I'd like to know is if there has been anything new come on the market to replace the old stuff, or to make the process easier? I was never much good at it, always had uneven finishes, and I'm hoping life's a bit easier now?

Reply to
steve marchant

If you can clear it all it can be replaced with a thin layer then pin quadrant beading over it while still soft. Clean off the excess putty and you are left with a clean finish ready for painting in couple of days. Might need a mitre block for the quadrant.

It is more expensive than using putty alone but gives a much better finish

Reply to
AlanG

Is this method ok for external surfaces? should've mentioned it's outside work I'm talking about. TIA

Reply to
steve marchant

You can get a putty tape now. I got mine from a double glazing contractor. I think it came in a 10 Metre roll. Its two plastic tapes with 2mm of putty in between. You use it like double sided sellotape. Peel of one plastic and stick down to glass. Peel off other plastic and tack a wooden quadrant in place as previous response says. Clean off excess putty. Its cleaner and quicker. You might need a bit of practice so buy more than you need cos it sticks like $^$^(. and you ruin it if its not in the right place.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Sounds a good idea, I'll see if I can get some. Thanks

Reply to
steve marchant

Yes. You bed the quadrant into the putty. The putty does the sealing. I'd suggest drilling some holes (0.8mm IIRC) in the quadrant to take the panel pins otherwise the wood will likely split. Putty over afterwards then paint or varnish when dry. Used this method on kitchen windows in my old house. Don't know how long it would have lasted but I replaced all the windows with PVC after 10 years anyway.

Reply to
Alang

got mine from a double glazing contractor.

try Reddiseals.co.uk

Reply to
AJH

Glazing mastic is better than putty, it can be applied by hand and it takes ages to set (you don't really want it to set but remain flexible) as a seal. It's specially made for glazing bead (you don't necessarily have to use quadrant), Glazing bead looks a lot better than quadrant.

Reply to
Nobby