Plaster float

Hi,

I plastered my ceiling a couple of months ago and was really pleased with the finish. However, I wasn't sure of how to correctly finish with the float, and ended up finishing with a wet sponge/brush. I now have to do a wall, and really want the smooth finish from the float. Any tips? Do you use it in the same way as a trowel, or do you put it flat onto the plaster, in which case, how do you prevent suction?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hopkins

A good quality trowel or steel float is a must. Round about £18 to £30. When selecting a steel float, check the edges all the way round, don't get one to big. a good float as about 8 to 12 rivets holding the handle on to the blade. Use as if you are spreading butter on bread with a knife, use the edge not flat. A good float or trowel will be stiff but under slight pressure bend and spring back when applying finish. Don't try to smooth the finish until it starts to go off, then with a large paste brush flick a little water on the plaster and lightly run the float over, using the film and a little plaster to fill in any discrepancies.Try this on a test area first. Also check to see how old the bag of plaster is. Get fresh as old plaster sets near enough as you mix it. Don't even attempt to use old plaster.

Keith

Reply to
keith_765