Painting over a strong colour

Just moved into a new house. The previous lads bedroom is dark blue emulsion with some "fun graffitti " probably in marker pens in some areas.

We want to end up with a nice flat magnolia ...or something similar.

Any advice on preparation to block out the darker stronger blue and the graffiti so we get a nice bright new finish with no show through

thanks

Barry

Reply to
Barry

I recently decorated a child's bedroom that had had Thunderbird characters and vehicles painted on the walls in emulsion which of course had edges. I used a 'polyfilla' to feather in the edges and then a couple of coats of a good white matt emulsion (there is no point in buying a cheap white as it is relatively cheap) followed by a couple of coloured top coats - excellent result. Ideally I should have stripped the lining paper and rehung but the customer didn't want me to do that!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I wouldn't have thought you'd have much problem with covering the strong colour with a couple or three coats of emulsion. But you might have a problem with the graffiti if it has, indeed, been done in marker pen.

I'd suggest you spray over it with Polycell Stainblock, or even a coat of gloss paint, to stop it bleeding through.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Just had the same problem with a purple one and rocketships in silver!

Quickest way was to paper with lining paper and paint that.

If you want the paint only approach, I would recommend getting "Leyland"

It is well worth the trouble of getting it.

Reply to
EricP

Grey emulsion usualy does the trick.

Reply to
xxscuzziexx

Marker pen is a bugger for bleeding through, use a Stainblock as Rob suggests.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman