I have a fairly well plumbed bathroom and we are careful to make sure
that the room is ventilated as much as poss. So much so that after 4
years, we still have white tile grout and it all looks as good as the
day it was installed.
However, there are one or two very small areas where water tends to sit
and these are developing very small amounts of mould.
Can anyone suggest the most effective method of getting rid of and
protecting against this?
I have tried everything on the supermarket shelves. Nothing seems
Have you tried "Dettox Anti-Bacterial Mould & Mildew Remover"? I have
found this product works exceptionally well. Just spray it on, and
within a few seconds you'll see it starting to work. Careful not to get
any on your clothes, towels etc, because it'll bleach them.
We always use ordinary household bleach and one of those small household
scrubbing brushes intended for pot washing. The bleach is applied using a
spray dispenser and then worked into the mould using the brush, left for a
few minutes with perhaps another scrub after it soaks into the mould.
Usual precautions apply. Lots of ventilation etc. Lungs do not like bleach
and as previously mentioned bleach does bleach most things which it comes
into contact with.
After the required effect is achieved the bleach/ mould residue is removed
using a damp cloth, frequently rinsed in clean water.
It should be added that we have used this technique primarily on tiles and
grout, it does not seem to damage plastic baths, though caution should be
exercised with the scrubbing brush as it may scratch plastic surfaces and
also the bleach should not be left in contact with the surfaces to be
treated for too long.
It's also cheap, the less viscous cheapo stuff is perfectly adequate.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.