Mildew??

I live in 1850's solid stone walled (18") cottage. The weather has been very hot and humid recently and floor tiles in the kitchen have been wet to touch (I think condensation because kitchen is very cool). Also, a wool rug in the lounge, has started to smell musty/mildew, as is a carpet upstairs. The cottage has been habited since 1850, so I can only assume that this isn't normal, although the kitchen and room with problem carpet upstairs are in a 1970's extension. The lounge with the rug, is an original room. Has anybody experienced similar and perhaps rectified?

Reply to
enquirer

Not similar as in 1850's but the bungalow I rented had a lot of moisture that was cured by the installation of simple wall vents that allow moisture out but stops heatloss or the cold in.

Reply to
Vass

find sources of damp, fix them. Then your RH is lower and you avoid condensation.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

find sources of damp, fix them. Then your RH is lower and you avoid condensation.

Also remove the rug(s). The rug is an insulator, causing lower temps beneath it, and reducing evaporation rate. Double whammy.

NT

Reply to
bigcat