Manky manholes

Has anyone had good results painting cast manhole covers? I have two outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very pretty. Long term plan is to re pave the area and use inset covers, but that won't happen for at least a couple more years as I have more important improvements to make.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Never tried it myself but I can't see a problem painting them ... good stiff wire brush and a nice coat of Hammerite should smarten them up

Ash

Reply to
Ash

========================================= You could try a rust remover / converter such as 'Jenolite'. The colour would change to a deep bronze but I'm not sure how long it would last before it needed a further treatment.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

hammerite - hides a multitude of imperfections

Reply to
Clive

A good builders merchant will have these in stock. You can get galvanised and also black plasticky covered (ruberised?).

Reply to
Stickems.

I very much doubt I would find new lids to fit the 1930s frames and don't realy want start hacking up the paving to set new frames at present. I was after advice on the best paint to improve the appearance.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You won't know until you try. I found one to fit, and my house is a 30's house.

| |

Reply to
Stickems.

One maybe, but the two are slightly different shapes.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Have you considered Brasso?

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

Think Muddymike wants them smartening up this side of 2010 !

Reply to
Ash

"Angle Grinder"!!

Reply to
Baz

I had this problem many years ago I used a wire brush on an electric drill to get all the rust off - looked OK like that if you like shiney! But then bought a tin of Hammerite I think it was called something like gun metal grey I lived there for almost 4 years and never needed to re-do it.

One further point, it was the hot summer of '76 that maybe helped bake the paint on :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien