Loft insulation

House is about 120 years old. I have an offshot single story kitchen with no insulation. I intend to cut a hole in the ceiling and try and lay some sort of insulation.

Problem. The kitchen is about 14ft X 7ft and the roof has a low pitch so I wont be able to get into it. I can only cut in at one end because of built in units and possible electric cables elsewhere. I intend to cut a square about 2ft a side above the door for access. The ceiling is plasterboard and artex.

Any suggestions on how to insulate when with the hatch I envisage I can only get my head and shoulders in and I don't have a 12ft reach. I was thinking of some sort of foam bead I could throw in to lodge between the joists.

Reply to
AlanG

Cut rolls of insulation to the correct length then unroll/push to the far end using two or three screwed together lengths of drain rods. I have never tried this so it is not from any personal experience, it's just a suggestion.

Reply to
DIY

Would work on the part where there is a bit of space but not under the eaves.

ISTR insulating pads that fitted between joists and about 4 ft long. Haven't seen any for years though. I could use your method with those.

Reply to
AlanG

Cavity wall batts?

Reply to
DIY

You jogged my memory :)

Thats the sort of thing I was looking for. Haven't seen them in the local Wickes or B&Q though. Have to do some shopping around the builders merchants.

Reply to
AlanG