How to age brass

Does anyone know how I can 'age' brass? I've a small brass bowl with a planished face and rope effect edge, I have now acquire a second (they were supposed to be in pairs) but the newer of the two is very bright and shiny for two reasons 1. it is newer and 2. it has been cleaned (some might say ruined!) very hard. I would like to age up the newer one

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

Why not clean the other one, and let them age together?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I suspect that if you buried it in the garden for some months it might emerge looking quite aged.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Well the aging of course is the oxidising of the brass surface, I'm pretty sure that if it was kept in a pure oxygen atmosphere the aging would occur at a much faster rate. It may be that Hydrogen Peroxide could be employed also, not really sure. I would go on an antiques NG and ask the question if I were you, or ring up a couple of antique shops jG

Reply to
J Gibbons

that one, if more required do a google for: how to age brass! jG

Reply to
J Gibbons

If it has a lacquer finish this will need removing first.

mark

Reply to
mark

Buy a tube of "brass black" available from any gun shop.

Reply to
Stickems.