Hard Water scale

Hi , I live in a hard water area ( Hereford ). I've got an electronic water scale thingy on the incoming pipe ( with flashing LEDs ! ) . I've also got a Liff filter on the incomer with an anti-scale cartridge. I still get loads of scale in my kettle and on the stainless draining board. Any crafty ideas to cut down on scale ?

thanks

Reply to
Qwerty

An under-the-sink resin/ion exchange water softener but they are expensive to install and maintain, therefore not crafty in my view.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I too live in a hard water area, and have wondered whether to invest in the "snake oil" solutions to the problem. Your posting appears to bear out my scepticism on the subject. I've found Viakal works well when I remember to use it, but most of the time my kitchen sink looks disgusting. (I lived in Manchester in early life and the chemistry lessons about hard water & scale had no meaning to me. How could a liquid be "hard"?)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I found a research paper on the web that said electronic scale reduction works but only in certain cases. Industrial size scale reducers are available and are proven to work but again only in certain areas. I've got the wrong sort of scale I guess.

I did find Siliphos on the web which is used in dairies. I refilled the Liff cartridge with 800g of the spheres ( £18 against the £25 for the Liff cartridge ). Some improvement but has not eliminated the problem.

I was hoping someone might know a cheap source of a food grade scale reducing agent like Siliphos.

Reply to
Qwerty

I once was a salesman for a company that sold a magnetic limescale remover. Despite my reservations at the time, it really worked. I sold a trial one to a Ministry of Defence site that was having problems. They were so pleased that they ordered loads of them. I fell out with the company, (late commission payments etc) so I left but it is hard work convincing people how they work.

Reply to
Merryterry

I agree that it works I found them to be best when placed as close to the tap as possible. didnt pay the outrageouse prices they charge though I used some magnets I had lying about the house. they are also sposed to work for fuel economy on boilers and cars too.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

After such a positive write-up, the least you could do is to give us that company's name, etc... Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I think they have gone out of business, (bad management, not paying salesmen etc). In any case I would not promote their products as they ended up owing me =A32K in commission.I would not spit on them if they were on fire!

I think there are other companies out there that sell magnetic scale reducers.

Reply to
Merryterry