Magnetic Water Treatment

The same as it was then, a wet dream for kooks. It didn't work then, it doesn't work now, it won't work 100 years from now.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Some years ago the were some pretty heated debate on the issue of MWT for scale removal.

What is the current status of this "Technology" at present in the US?

George Taylor

Reply to
George Taylor

I'd like it if all of the nay sayers would put forward objective information regarding the problems with this concept rather than unfounded opinions. I suspect that there may be some merit to the concept even though it may not have been accepted yet.

I'm always suspicious of folks who oppose things like this based on nothing more than their "religious dogma".

RB

George Taylor wrote:

Reply to
RB

Reply to
wayne

RB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spamfree.com:

Unless the manufacturers of such devices can actually define the limits of their devices and the circumsances under which they work, they will continue to be worthless. Even then, the results at Cranfiled indicate a limited usefulness, even at their best (70% scale reduction isn't good enough in most circumstances).

Skepticism isn't "religious dogma" -- it's the only way science can hope to work.

I will side with the nay-sayers; until a technology is repeatable and definable, it is of no use to anyone except for the "snake oil" vendors. Until then, conventional treatment methods have the advantage of being predictable, reliable and 100% effective.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

A scam ...like the laundry ball, and the tornado intake manifold insert.

Reply to
twiedeman

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:04:43 -0400, RB wrote (with possible editing):

Wouldn't it be equally valid to ask those who favor such concepts to produce proof as well?

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

I have iron in my water as well as calcium carbonate. The iron MIGHT be affected by a magnet, but calcium carbonate is non ferrous and not affected by magnetic fields under any theory I know of.

Do you believe that exposing water to the relatively weak magnetic field created by something small enough for any homeowmer to clamp over the pipe for the one second or less during which the water passes through the field will have any effect on a nonferrous chemical compound?

RB wrote:

Reply to
JohnB

"JohnB" wrote

I at one time didn't believe it worked either but then.... I've seen two of the residential electronic anti scale devices cause a white powdery residue on all surfaces the water was allowed to evaporate on. When shut of the residue stopped.

As to science being the last word... until 25-30 years ago we all thought the earth was a good filter. Science couldn't explain the fact of long runout landslides. Nor expalin tsunamies from the middle of the Pacific Ocean hitting the NW coast of the US and Canada. Or part of an island falling ito the ocean as the cause. Science didn't know you could cut VERY thick and ultra strong metals with nothing but high pressure water either. I could go on but most should get the idea that science doesn't know it all just yet.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser

Yes, it doesn't know everything. I does know about those things that can be tested. Magnets attached to a pipe and their effects are hardly an arcane 'can't explain' phenomenon. When I see a scientific report outlying the tests and the results showing that there is a

-practical- application in residential use I will change my opinion. Until then these things are just another item in the snake oil salesmens bag.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The problem remains that all the "it works" testimonials are anecdotal. There are many things in the world we don't completely understand the mechanism for, but the evidence for the phenomena is hard and not controversial. That cannot be said of the magnetic water treatment stuff which has now been around for years. Even for new phenomena we cannot fully comprehend the mechanism for, we have a good enough scientific intiution to know when the phenomena are poppycock or profound. A good example is superconductivity. We may not know all the details, but we know the phenomena is real.

Reading the "literature" on the magnetic water treatment stuff and the way a few scientific terms such as ionic structure, magnetic fields, dipole moments, nuclear or electron spin moments and van der waals forces are used and applied to particles, makes someone familiar with chemstry very suspicious. The explanations of the phenomena are disjointed and nebulous. More like a jumble of just the right terms to fool the unwary.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

"Gary Dyrkacz" wrote

Hi Gary. You and Harry K sound as if I'm promoting "magnets". I wasn't and I'm not nor have I in the past. I didn't mention magnets, I spoke to the electronic anti-scale devices. Yes they are said to change this'n that in water with a magnetic field and I said I have seen a change in water quality in two locations using them. But that's all I said about them.

Have you and Harry physically seen and/or touched any of them? Any that were in operation? Did you do any type of inspection of the water quality past even one that was operating?