Hammerite - cleaning brushes ?

Hi

Have just been using Hammerite, and assumed I could clean brushes with white spirit. I've just discovered that doesn't work and I should have bought Hammerite's own special cleaning stuff, but the shops are now shut.

Can anyone suggest an alternative, please?

TIA

Reply to
Martin

In article , Martin writes

Cellulose thinners, but most people use a cheap brush & dump it afterwards.

Reply to
fred

Thanks, Fred, for such a prompt reply. Luckily, they're fairly cheap brushes anyway. I'd wondered about cellulose, but the stuff didn't seem to smell the same as when I tried to spray cars all those years ago...!!

Reply to
Martin

From memory, I think the solvent is xylene.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Sounds unlikely I know, but I was advised by a local hardware shop a long time ago to try Fairy Liquid and it seemed to work ok.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I heard that rubbing butter into a paint brush also works, never tried it myself though.

Reply to
geewhizza

Wont clean it, but putting the brush in the freezer will stop it going hard for a few days

Reply to
>{daZza

Martin popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

If it is Hammerite not Smoothrite, chuck the brushes once used, buy a cheap set from one of the sheds. I have found that unless they are "proper" decoraters brushes at £20:00 each, time and effort expended far outweighs (in monetary terms)the cost of a new brush. YMMV.

Reply to
soup

Thanks soup - yes, it's hammerite and yes, I've chucked the (cheap) brushes. I agree it's unlikely the quality of brush would have made any difference anyway - it's jolly thick stuff, isn't it?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Martin

Martin popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Only used it twice once for garden poles and once for a metal fence in the garden . The poles were the first thing I had ever used Hammerite on ,to me it seemed like coloured glue it was "stringing" and all sorts

Reply to
soup