drilling ceramic tiles

Hi

i need to drill 4 holes to put up a small glass shelf above the sink. the tiles are on a plasterboard wall with brick behind. do i just use a masonry drill bit? what if the drill is under size, can i open up using say the next size up or would this crack the tile.

plugs look to be around 6mm but no markings on them.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

IIRC the last time I did similar I used a masonry drill but obviously not using the hammer action. You should be able to enlarge the holes with a normal drill but it may blunt them fairly quickly.

Reply to
malc

Well, if you've got the next size up drill, use it to start with! BTW, red plugs need a 5.5mm drill and brown plugs need a 7mm drill.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

The red ones req a 6mm bit if using a size 8 screw, also a lot of fixtures come with grey, white or black plugs and no guide!

I find 6mm is usually req.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

White plugs no guide and no template to work out the centres between brackets!

i have some spare offcuts so will test drill with the 6mm masonry bit i have.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

You use a special drill for ceramic tiles, which is flat and looks like an elongated "spade" from suits of cards. Put some tape over the area to be drilled so the bit doesn't skate around before biting in the wrong place;-) Don't use hammer action. Once you're through the tile, switch to a normal bit.

The hole through the tile needs to be over-sized so the plug can pass right through. You don't want the plug to grip the tile as it may crack it when the screw is done up and the plug expands. Also, you want the plug to grip the wall, not the tile. You may need longer screws than were provided to get through the tiles to the wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I always drill deep enough so the outward pressure from the plug grips the wall and not the tile. I was told once that the tile could crack.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Use masking tape at the drill point, mark the hole point with a cross and then use an ordinary engineering drill, start with a small pilot drill and increase in drill sizes to just over the diameter of the rawlplug. Don't use hammer action when drilling the tiles, then use the masonry drill through the hole in the tile, using hammer action.. I've just fitted a cistern using this method; although care is required. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean