clean guttering

novice in London u.k. wishes to buy ladder to clean out gutters on two story (ground and first floor) terrace house.

my neighbour also recommends to also buy a 'thingy' that allows the ladder to rest on the actual tiles of the roof enabling me to reach into the gutters more easily...a good idea?

would anyone recommend from which store to buy an inexpensive aluminium ladder to do this job please?

Reply to
torge conrad maguar

I would recomend a 'Stand Off' which attaches to top of ladder and allows you to see into gutter without leaning back and getting off balance.

Colin

Reply to
cojack

Seconded to that, makes this job (and others) much easier and safer. Have a look at Wickes if you have one nearby. I got mine from there a couple of months ago and it was £15.00. Just looked on their web site and it's now £24 but still cheaper than Screwfix. As far as the ladder itself is concerned you need to find out what length you need and shop around. Bear in mind if you're not used to ladders it can be 'scary monsters' up there especially when you have a bucket in one hand and a cleaning implement in the other. One thing I do is put a pole through one of the rung tubes and hang my bucket on that. You could use the money to pay somebody to do it but that aint DIY and you don't get to keep the ladders etc!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Sorry forgot this

John

Reply to
John

Our window cleaner used to clean the gutters when asked - for a small extra payment of course. But that was back in England. We don't have window cleaners here on Stronsay as strong winds, salt spray and rain make their existence a bit pointless

Reply to
Bruce