Advice needed - Expensive Plumbing Bill

You should call the local council, tell them the tale, and ask them why he was recommended.

Or possibly tell the plumber this is what you are going to do...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I won't ask. I was born in Droysden, do you know it?

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Droylsden yes part of my "patch" along with Clayton,Openshaw,Moston and the rest. served in forces with a droylsden lad his ex lives 3 doors from me. You would'nt know it now being dug up for the Metrolink extention. cj

Reply to
cj

I went back after 40 years and was 100% lost.... no satnav. My old home was still there, I managed to find Taylor Street. It seemed so narrow after all of those years. Everybody I knew had gone, or died.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

you could use your rights to cancel the contract provided hes not followed the guidelines

Bob

Are you in a council house or some form of social housing? If not, which department gave you the name of a plumber? Was it a 'recommendation', or just some bod trying to be helpful by giving a name from the Yellow Pages?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Many councils have a scheme like this (picked as highest google hit)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well Plumber number 2 came and fitted a new valve, check all wiring and feeds. No difference still no Hot water just heating, he appologised and told me that he is stumped. He has checked everything else that everyone has mentioned including checking for sludge etc. He has spoken to another plumber who thinks it may be the hot water tank that needs replacing. He is at night school tonight and will be asking a master plumber there.

What does everyone think?

Tony

Reply to
Tony&Debs

Yep, if it was Trading Standards or similar who recommended them from their "Buy With Confidence" type scheme, let them know that you found their recommendation to be wanting! If you don't tell them, things won't improve.

Reply to
Doctor D

Hi I recall 2 occasions of a similar problem years ago :

1 The cylinder was faulty this was a different type of cylinder to the norm' as it did not have a coil inside the tank but what can only be described as an upside down bucket.(can't remember the name made by IMI Fortic range).These separated the water by trapping an air pocket in the bucket as the cylinder filled.The fault was that the bucket had rotted and fallen into the bottom of the cylinder. If you bled the cylinder feeds you got hot water for around 1/2hr then as soon as the pump stopped no hot water.

2 Normal cylinder but upstairs on opposite side of house to boiler. worked fine until house had new wiring for sockets upstairs. Turned out sparks (not me) had bent feed pipes to cylinder flush with ceiling to allow wiring.This caused an air bubble to form (over a period of time) stopping circulation to the cylinder even though the system was pumped.

Reply to
cj

I can see this refers to a contract. But normally would you enter into a contract with a plumber? You call him out and he just does what he thinks he will.

I would have thought that maybe you could get an independent assesment of a

*fair* charge for what was done and then go to the small claims court?? Maybe citizens advice would know how to go about this?
Reply to
john hamilton