Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Water Heater Vent
My plumber assured me that a vent made of 4" PVC running out through the roof would be sufficient to vent a tankless hot water heater and a furnace in my 1700 square foot home. The plumber has since...
6
6

Cement Pad Thickness for Water Tanks?
I'm installing two water tanks. One is an 8' Diameter 2500 Gallon tank and the other is a 12' Diameter 5000 Gallon tank. I'd like to set them both on a cement pad Maybe 2' wider then the tank itself....
27
27

cedar shingle cutting jig for gable end sidewalls
We're shingling the sidewalls of a house with northern white cedar shingles. Does anyone have a suggestion for a jig to use in cutting the "sets" of shingles that head into the gable soffits at the...
6
6

Origin of 4' module and 16" OC?
I'm just curious if anyone knows where the standard for 16" OC stud spacing and 4 foot plywood widths came from? Since older houses used individual boards instead of plywood, I assume the 4 foot width...
6
6

How does cement work?
How does cement REALLY work? I know it involves a complex chemical reaction in which water plays an important role. However, it seems to be a common misconception that setting cement is a lot like...
18
18

Working with PVC pipe
Hello, I had some PVC pipe left over from a project and my kids discovered it was fun to play with. Having cut it into a few segments and smoothed up the ends, I also had a spare T joint which I gave...
36
36

Number of layers on roof
Does anyone know what the maximum number of layers on a roof is in NY (Long Island)? Is there a code for this and if so where could I find it? Thanks in advance, Peter
30
30

Permit issues with roof conversion and upstairs patio
I've got an opportunity and a problem. I have unheated storage space and a bathroom in rooms within the rear of the garage, rooms that apparently have been there for many years without the county...

texture hopper
Sirs: was looking for a site that can give me instructions. Thanks in advance.
3
3

Identifying good developers and bad ones
How can I determine good developers from the bad ones? A new home in a subdivision can look good on the outside, but 5 years later could start falling apart - e.g. homes built by developers who do...
12
12

is a 10" step code?
Friend of mine is having a house built by David Weekly Homes (huge builder.) He was expecting to get a garage floor like this: now has this: ledge you see is 10" on the far end and 14" on the other....
39
39

Commercial Building: CMU vs Stucco
Anyone have any thoughts on difference in the costs of cmu (concrete masonary unit) vs stucco? Any ideas on the costs and benefits of each? This would be for a commercial retail building in Seattle....
15
15

StrawJet Buildings

Stained Concrete Floors
Hi folks. I'm looking for some suggestions about how to lay a concrete floor on an existing floor (with all tile and underlying stuff ripped out), stain it, and acidwash it. specifically - how thick...
6
6

BS8666:2005 Bending Schedule
There is a new bending schedule spreadsheet available that is far more advanced than those currently available that will auto-complete bar data if it already exists and will check that all occurences...