Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Hybrid insulating concrete form & plywood form
Hello, I am looking for a cross between the insulating concrete forms and the more common plywood form. I would like to use the insulating forms on the exterior, and plywood on the interior. I like...
12
12

cement pillar weight projections
I am considering a project which would require the use of cement pillars. What I need to know is a rough idea of how much weight a cement pillar would hold. The pillar will be circular with a six inch...
18
18

Beeping from attic
Beeping from attic We recently moved into a used house and a few months ago noticed a high pitched beeping sound which seemed to originate from a particular location of the ceiling in the hallway....
6
6

Wasps a problem for anyone?
Hi, We are just finishing the inside of our home and I see wasps flying into the peak of our home between the brick and the facia. The wasp nest is not visible from the outside. The attic is blown...
42
42

Building a garage overhang (eyebrow)
I'm residing a contempory house done originally in vertical cedar. The gable ends, including the garage that bumps out, have no overhang..looks like just a 1 x 8 board over the top of the siding...
9
9

Outisde attic access w/vinyl siding
Is it possible to put vinyl siding over a hinged attic access in the gable end of a home? Seemed pretty straight forward till I realized the 2 J channels at the hinged seam would crush each other when...
9
9

Alternative to Curved Beams
Hi All, Does anyone know any alternatives to using a curved glue-lam beam? I have to build a circular tower, and i need a solution for curved headers over the doors. Any ideas?? Thank you, Sean
27
27

Your Grandfather's Apprenticeship
Grandfather was a Kentucky hill boy, born in 1900, whose family owned the local corn mill. There was virtually no paper currency and very little hard money, so the local economy was based upon the...
9
9

Old Trimboards with Grey Coating
What is it and what was it for? Pics worth 1000 words. Here they are: Click on View Click on the picture to enlarge. House is 28 yrs old. I have found on the trimboards that there is a grey paperlike...
9
9

Electrical Wiring Q
Not even sure if it's OK to do and, of course, local codes prevail. OK, so you need to run a 15A 14/2 line to a load. All you have is 14/3. In general, is it ok to use 14/3. Of course it's the...
15
15

Creating a gable roof out of a mansard roof
Hi Everyone, I've just purchased a new home with a mansard roof which is pretty ugly. I'm looking for an economical way of creating a gable roof over the top of the mansard roof without...
18
18

Neighbor's Sftub wiring - not cool
My neighbor has just added a "Softub" hot tub on his patio. It requires it's own 20 amp circuit as the pump/heater unit is 110v. At the rear of his house adjacent to the patio, is his 100 amp...
21
21

question on wells VS very long water line
Hello all, We are about to start building our house which sits about 1000' from the road. We have city water available but are looking into having a well. I am told that the iron content is high...
54
54

Popping Windows
Hi All, I have double-glazed white vinyl windows in the eastern wall of my bedroom that emit popping noises when the sun heats them up. The noise is sometimes loud enough to wake me in the morning and...
6
6

Gypcrete elevation around sleepers
Hi All, I recently had gypcrete poured over my plywood subfloor with sleepers. The gypcrete was left an average of 1/8" low from the top of the sleepers. Is this common practice? The flooring will be...
6
6