where to find lattic moulding?

Hi,

I have a small project where I want to build walls similar to the slat and plaster construction method of decades ago. Where can I find lattic moulding. Ideally in 14' lengths, but 8' is ok (I'll splice).

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Are you talking lathe and plaster walls (and ceilings?) If yes, you need rough cut lathe strips (smooth cut won't hold plaster as well) and special plaster with a binder (was horse hair in the 'good old days') to do this.

I'd guess any good mill yard could probably cut the lathe you need, just tell them you want it as rough as possible. I see no reason you could not rip down some good 2x4s though (again in the old days) they probably used better lumber that was more dimensionally stable.

Reply to
PeterD

In my part of the world, they sell redwood lattice. It is rough, sap grade and better, 1/4" x 1 1/2" or so..... It comes in 8' lengths. Also redwood bender board that is 3" wide by 1/4" or less and it comes in long lengths. I would imagine a person could contact a lattice mill here and just get an order also. If you want I can find out what mills to call. jloomisconstruction.com

Hi,

I have a small project where I want to build walls similar to the slat and plaster construction method of decades ago. Where can I find lattic moulding. Ideally in 14' lengths, but 8' is ok (I'll splice).

Mike

Reply to
jloomis

It's a similar idea, yes. I want to use the slats to form complex curves in a wall. I'll not use plaster for this project. I expect to sand smooth and something like clear varnish or clear polyureathane. I tried this with 4'x8' sheets of luan. I don't have the experience to make it look like what's in my mind. I think the slats may look good.

How do I search for a mill yard to get roughly 1144 board feet of 2" wide slats? That's 14'x728 and 8'x416 boards all 2" wide. If I used lattice it would 1 3/8" (1.375") wide.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What part of the world is that? Are the boards available in pine rather than redwood?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'd consider using ply, ripped down, if you are bending and molding it. There's a lumber yard that cuts and mills near me, but since I don't know where you are...

Reply to
PeterD

Fort Bragg, Calif. All the boards are made with 2nd and 3rd growth material. Usually the outside of the tree and some redwood. It is what they make grape stakes, garden stakes, and "B" grade wood products.

john