Uniform Building Codes

I am trying to complete a set of drawings for a room addition that, due to property line proximity, will require a fire-rated wall on its south side. Per the city's code enforcement . . . "plans shall state all walls that are to be built with one-hour fire ratings. Plans shall include one-hour fire-rated design details and wall sections from the foundation to the roof and any roof overhangs. Provide a one hour fire rated wall design number and criteria from an approved testing agency." I've Googled this to death and have been unable to locate something on-line that will fill this bill (as in downloading a pdf file with appropriate illustrations, etc). No shortage of places to buy $50-$60-$75 dollar code books but, of course, I am trying to avoid buying the whole volume. Somebody point me.

Reply to
NuWaveDave

Try your local library.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Hummm... I did a search of google.com using the following and found all sorts of stuff...

"hour fire rated wall" design number

(Include quotes above)

Reply to
Bill

Actually, I did. Or, the local branch of the Harris County Public Library (since I'm not actually in Houston city limits). Their sole UBC reference was a 1991 UBC. An, it did have sections on fire-rated walls but nothing [that I could find] in the way of illustrations or accredited testing agencies. I suppose I shall have to renew my efforts, revisit HCPB's on-line catalog. Thanks, Bob.

Reply to
NuWaveDave

Try the Fire Resistance Design Manual:

Bob Morrison

Residents of municipalities with population 10,000 or greater in the state of Texas must write their building code using IRC as minimum basis, state law. Where does UBC come in regarding Harris county, TX? Is Harris county writing building code, vice a municipality (a county is not a municipality)?

Here's an example regarding IRC fire wall enforcement in Arlington, TX:

You might call the inspecting office and find out their requirements for inspection in the sequence of building.

Reply to
Jonny

FYI UBC is not used any longer if the state has approved the the IBC. Folks need to know that IRC stands for "International Residential Code" where the IBC stands for "International Building code". If you need the code for a resident use IRC if you need the code for something not residential use IBC. The latest is IBC 2006.

CID..

Reply to
Chuck

I think what they're asking for is UL Design details. Not knowing your specific construction, UL Design U404 or U425 is pretty typical, but you'll need to search anywhere from U302 to U495. These come from the UL Fire Resistance Directory vol.1. We typically take these UL details and copy/paste them right into the drawings from the book, and refer constrution to adhere to that standard for that specific type of rated wall or rated assembly. Local may require a one hour rating on both sides of the wall, a rated ceiling assembly, even a finish rating as well, so there are many possible combinations, but the directory has a detail for nearly posible combination. Also, check if they require any penetrations such as outdoor water bibbs, cable or conduit to be rated and include these details as well (these are in vol. 2). You used to be able to buy vol 1&2 for $40, but I haven't seen that deal in a while. If the local library doesn't have it, check the architecture department of your local college (or a friendly architect). Hope this helps.

Reply to
Nick

Consider using NUDURA Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) for you addition walls. You can find fire rating information about this walls at

(3hrs). They have CAD drawing available also.

Reply to
abarr

Harris County PUBLIC LIBRARY . . . LIBRARY. I was looking for pertinent reference materials to show me actual construction method(s) in order that I can insert that material into my permit application. The City of Houston Code Enforcement office provided us with the requirements but do not provide us with the source(s) to satisfy those requirements. They state, in part, ". . . Provide a one-hour fire rated wall design number and criteria from an approved testing agency." My references to the HCPL were merely to illustrate that I had attempted some research into the matter using the first source available to me. And, that source was pretty much totally lacking in reference material.

Thanks anyway; this is of no help at all. CofH gladly provides you with all such "examples" necessary. I just wish they would provide you with actual examples of approved methods and tell you, "Here's how you have to build it to meet code."

Reply to
NuWaveDave

Bob Morrison's reply was exactly what you need. It has many tested 1-hour walls avalaible, including the design number, method of construction and fastenings. All you need to do is reference the design number, the AHJ should be able to look up the wall. (Many are cross-referenced to UL).

In the submittal I review, all I require is the design number. (You may need to specify the contruction for any overhangs however.)

Dennis

Thanks to Nick, Chuck, Bill, Bob Morrison, and Dennis whose posts here prodded me to continue my search. I'm going with the Gypsum Association Fire Resistance Design Manual and/or the APA's both of which reference the Ul design numbers. I hope this is going to satisfy the city. We manage to do a room addition every four or five years. NuWave Dave in Houston

Reply to
NuWaveDave