UK Building Regs query

Can anyone help please? I have just submitted full building regs for a new dwelling but the L.A. are taking 8 weeks to approve and I wish to start a.s.a.p. Someone has suggested that once they have been registered I can begin provided I give the L.A. 48 hours notice of work.

Can anyone confirm this is correct and the rules that apply. Many thanks.

Regards Jimbo

Reply to
Jim

I'm not sure what the 'L.A.' is, but did you ask them? Asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet won't give you an answer you can trust, but asking the *right* people will. Ask the 'L.A.' and see what they say.

Reply to
PeterD

Normally they will let you proceed upto to the point where the first inspection is due. That's typically when you have dug (but not filled) the foundation trenches. If in doubt give the Building Control Officer a call to ask if that's ok. Once you are up and running they will usually come out "next day" or even "same day" if you call first thing before they have planned their day. Obviously they prefer a bit of notice.

Just bear in mind that it's not a good idea to have the trenches open too long. Try and get them dug and filled as soon as possible to minimise the risk of them filling with rain water, collapsing etc

I also recommend you join the forums at:

The ebuild forum is the best for selfbuild. It's a bit difficult to use as there are so many categories and sub categories but lots of good advice there. Most of us resort to clicking on the links that says "Last 1|3|7 Days"

See you there!

Colin

Reply to
CWatters