terminology wanted

In the past 20 years or so the shift from standard floor support to wood based "beam" support is probably now the norm.

What is the correct term for the type of support beams that uses a pair of

2x4's and OSB between them?

A few years ago, one of the home building shows showed these things and the guy who made them said, you tell us how much the house weighs, we will tell you how wide the OSB has to be.

Installing them is a one man job instead of the need for a small crew and probably a crane.

Reply to
richard

To help clarify what I'm talking about.

Reply to
richard

TJI joist. One person can install with difficulty.

Reply to
jloomis

No - no he didn't. No such comment would ever make it past the editors of a home improvement show. It's nonsense. You misinterpret or incorrectly recall what was said.

No. No it's not. I'd imagine that slightly less than 1/10 of 1% of houses are framed by a single person. That single person would have no money and/or no friends to allow that to happen. It's an inefficient way to frame and more dangerous.

I'm surprised that the first line of the first sentence in that link didn't clarify it enough.

RicodJour