Screened porch landing

Hello everyone,

My wife and I just moved into our house, and now we're trying to fix the seemingly endless list of issues caused by the seeming insanity of the previous owners; we're new to home improvement, and we're learning fast. I've searched the web for solutions to a problem we have with our screen porch, but I've come up empty handed. maybe someone here can help.

here goes:

The screen porch is about 10' out from house , 18' long, and 2 feet off the ground. I want to move the door and make it swing outward so I think I need to add a 3 foot landing to meet code requirements. In adding the landing, is it ok to "float" the vertical support beams on the concrete driveway below.

Thanks!

Demian

Why? (maybe you do not want to bolt or concrete screw into the concrete?) Not sure why you are floating a support beam? A additional landing in front of the door should not be a problem, and attaching it to the concrete is neither a problem. not sure if I understand the question. hummmm jloomis

Reply to
jloomis

If the door is right there now, you probably don't have to do anything as it is existing.

But since it sounds like you are going to do a lot of work, it would be a good idea to do things to code even if you don't have to. This is very important for safety with steps, step treads, step height, handrails, and railings around a porch.

I would suggest getting a couple of books on basic construction at a used bookstore. Then get a new "codecheck" booklet at the link below. This has all the latest code requirements for this and that.

As to the landing, it would be safest if it was anchored to the concrete so it will not slip. Also get those stick-on anti-slip strips for the treads and add a handrail if needed.

Get out your checkbook! For this project you will need a hammer drill and masonry bits. But buy the anchors first, then the drill bit, then the hammer drill to fit the bit. Some larger bits are only for a 1/2 inch chuck but smaller hammer drills only have a 3/8 chuck.

Note: You can save a lot of money by going to yard sales and getting used tools, rake, shovel, etc.

Codecheck booklet...

Bill

Reply to
Demian