Hurricane Window Film

I'm in South Florida and am considering buying 8 mil hurricane film for my windows. Is it as good as they say? They claim it will hold up against 170 MPH wind, as well as flying 2 by 4's etc. The glass breaks, of course, but the window stays in place.

How about appearance. Does it stay clear?

Also, is it very important to get the Dow Corning 995 anchoring glaze? They don't have it in clear, for some reason. How bad are the fumes on that? I have a little emphasema and I noticed that the product has some warnings about hazardous vapors.

How long do the vapors last?

Also, is there much difference between the brands, like Llumar, Armorcoat, 3M?

Any info would be appreciated.

Reply to
anonymous124816

If it was that strong, they would have covered all Humvees with it in Iraq.

Reply to
Willshak

At 170 mph, a 2x4 will go through a concrete wall. Your probably in a 130 mph area and I personally would not place my faith in a 8 mil film. Play it safe and stick with 1/2 inch OSB.

Reply to
Dennis

Those window films are not nearly as good as they say. I'm in LArgo, we took some out of a house and did our own tests, sledge hammer, 2x4 shot out from under a harley tire, shotgun etc. They are better than nothing but, I wouldn't hang around during a 3 up storm.

I use corragated sheet metal roofing cut to size, numbered, with mounting hardware attached to each one. They stack flat when not needed and don't take up much room,and are light. Really, if you have modern windows that are set right, then you only really need to worry about a direct hit to the window. Roof will probaley blow off first.

Reply to
Raider Bill

Reply to
Dennis