Hot Water tank Anode rod and Water softner

I had my Water softener serviced the other day, and I told them the water had an odor. (like oil). They tested the water, and said all was fine. They said the smell was from the Hot Water Tank's Anode rod. They also said the rod can be removed and left out, as it serves to prevent problems from hard water not soft water.

Any ideas?

My HW tank (gas), is just a year old, and the other tank (electric), never had this problem. I have had the water softener 5 years.

Reply to
Bill

First hit, Google...

Dave

That confirms one question. What about leaving it out??

Reply to
Bill

That was answered there also. Leave it out and your tank will rust.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Read the article again. It tells you exactly what will happen if you leave it out. It also tells you what to do if you have this problem...

Reply to
PeterD

I didn't catch the part about 'aluminum'.. Will give that a try.

Reply to
Bill

I think you're being suckered/misinformed by the water softener company myself. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Guess I will pull the anode rod to see if it is bad. I would think the anode rod should last more than a year.

Reply to
Bill

FWIW, my water heater was put in, in 1978. I doubt that it has any anode tube left; still works good and no rust. I suppose if I had acidic water it would be desirable to maintain it, but we have "normal" water (average PH).

If your water is acidic enough to need a anode, consider what other harm it's doing to your appliances and piping.

Reply to
Dennis

How, exactly, are you going to make that determination other than visual examination of obvious damage? I would be interested. My water is blessed with hydrogen sulfide. I use an aerator to eliminate that. I would be interested in what to note in examining an anode for possible failure. Dave

Reply to
Dave

It gets eaten away. It disappears.

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Dave

Who me? As I said, my water heater is 30 years old.

Grin. I doubt there's anything left of it at all.

Reply to
Dennis