Hip roof construction

Hi, I'm extending my house by adding a hip roof structure to a gable end structure. All the trusses are in place but those in the old section sit about 30mm higher than those in the new section. The problem I've got is how to place the metal facia at the same level from old to new. I can't shorten the tails of the trusses on the new bit because one wall has flush fitting facia and I cant lengthen the tails on the old bit because of the roof line of a carport sitting under the eaves. As far as I can work it out this leaves either or both increasing the depth of the roof battens on the new section or stepping down the eaves and facia from the old bit. Another issue I'm concerned about is what impact this will have on the valley flashings. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA V

Reply to
Via Nite

Short of living with the look of the discrepancy, those are your only two options.

The valley is still a straight line formed by two intersecting planes, and will have no real effect on the valley flashing. The only difference is that at the bottom one side of the valley flashing will be longer than the other. It's sheet metal, has to be cut and formed anyway, so there's no appreciable difference.

RicodJour

Did you have any drawings of this before you started building? You have the solutions but it will look as we say kinda funky.

Reply to
tmurpha1hi

Reply to
jloomis

What you are proposing would remove all conjecture, wild-assed guesses, misinterpretation, ambiguity and arguments based on those elements. In other words, the Death of Usenet.

Is that really what you want? ;)

RicodJour

Thanks guys. I'm an owner builder so no expert in these matters. The new trusses were premade from the plans but there was a site inspection when the supporting walls were in place and the top plates were all at the same height. There was lots of talk about heels etc but I now have this problem. I'm about to go out with a string line and work out the maximum depth I can get on the new battens. Ain't life fun Cheers V

Reply to
Via Nite