height of stoop

I have a covered concrete stoop that is about the same height as the 1st floor with a raised door threshold seperating them.

My question is can I use 3/8 ceramic tile on the stoop or would raise the stoop level the slighly ? The threshold will be slightly higher than the finished tile but the floor of the house will be lower.

The stoop is sloped correctly and only driving rain will get close to the door. The house and stoop are 50 y.o. On a neighbors house, during a recent renovation, they cut the concrete down by about 1/2" with a saw. They then layed flagstone.

Thanks in advanced to a great newsgroup.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think you could get away with what you propose, but as you clearly feel it is taking a chance. TB

Reply to
tbasc

I wouldn't do it as is. Too many risks with weather and safety. Wet ceramic tile is almost always slippery and water can and will get into the house perhaps leaking under the threshold soaking and rotting structure beneath.

Think about setting the cutting depth of the blade on a circular saw to the depth of the surface of the stoop that needs to be lowered. Snap a bunch of lines one inch apart on the surface of the stoop and kerf the surface. Then take a 3" cold chisel and a maul and take the kerfs off by hand.

Reply to
clintonG

Thanks for the replies. Of course the tile would not be the usual bathroom tile, bit one that is not slippery when wet.

I will consider cutting the concrete down using a circular saw and a diamong blade. If I did that then I would use flagstone. I just think that my wife would not want to deal with the project for 2 weeks. I do not know how long it would take to cut down the 5' x 5' stoop. I would imagine that I could leave the 2 steps alone. What do you think ???

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
tbasc